Friday, July 29, 2011

Other Breweries of Note

There are a ton of breweries in Oregon. I didn't realize this until recently, but since I got here, aside from the occasional Sierra Nevada or Alaskan, all of the beer I purchased was brewed in Oregon. This is particularly significant because I rarely revisited a particular beer.

Here are a few of the other Oregon breweries that I am fond of but I either already spoke about or I didn't think merited a full post:


McMenamin's: I only had McMenamin's beer a couple of times. McMenamin's is a chain of pubs, hotels, venues, and movie theaters started by a couple of brothers. They brew all of their own beer and also produce a variety of wines and liquors. When we first arrived in Portland, Becca and I went to a McMenamin's brewpub a couple of times, and all of the beer I tried was good. Unfortunately, they don't distribute outside of their pubs, so you can't pick it up at the grocery store.


Double Mountain: Double Mountain I have talked about as well. But I wanted to re-emphasize how much I like this brewery. They make some of the best beers I've ever had (not to mention a pretty mean pizza). If you ever find yourself traveling the Columbia River Gorge, be sure to stop in Hood River and grab a pint or a growler-full of some Double Mountain brew. My two favorite beers I've had in Oregon both came from Double Mountain; they are the Kriek and the IRA.


Bridgeport: Bridgeport is not my favorite of the Oregon breweries. I was not blown away by the first four beers of theirs I tried. These were their IPA, a mocha porter, the Blue Heron Pale Ale, and a Triple-Hopped Double Red Ale called Kingpin. They were alright, but not great. Their Hop Czar IPA was a step better. Their summer seasonal, though, was fantastic. It's called Summer Squeeze and is infused with lemongrass and yuzu, which is apparently an asian citrus fruit. It is light, crisp, and citrusy, a really splendid summer beer.


Ninkasi: Ninkasi is a brewery located in Eugene. The name is derived from the ancient Sumerian goddess of fermentation. They produce good, high-quality beers with such interesting names as Tricerahops Double IPA.


Rogue: I spoke a bit about Rogue when Becca visited, because we ate dinner at their brewpub in Portland. Rogue is a brewery that a lot of you are probably familiar with. They produce a wide variety of great beers, which are sold all over the country. Their Dead Guy Ale is the one you are most likely to have encountered. They also have a distillery, where they make a few whiskeys and gins. I bought a bottle of their Dead Guy whiskey at one point. It is made with the exact same grain bill as the Dead Guy Ale, and is quite good. I'd like to try their Gin as well.

1 comment:

  1. Rogue is everywhere around here but that's the only label I recognize in this list. I'm gonna go hunting for Double Mountain and Ninkasi though, those sound like the ones I've got the best shot at finding.

    ReplyDelete