Monday, May 2, 2011

The Native Fishermen


At both dams there are groups of local Native Americans that come to fish. They are the only non-USACE employees that are allowed on the project. I think they are also the only fishermen allowed to use nets to catch salmon.

All around the dam both on the project and on the nearby shores are these precariously constructed platforms that they fish from. The majority use gill nets which they set and check once or twice a day. Once there were a couple of natives pole-fishing from the shore, but that is rare. Here's a picture to illustrate the questionable construction of some of these platforms:


Thus far I have only seen a few groups of people out fishing at The Dalles (John Day has more, but it has an area open to the public, so most of them are pole-fishing and aren't Native Americans). These are the folks that come every day. One guy just naps in his car all day, waking occasionally to check his nets. I'm surprised to not see more people out there. I've seen them haul in five or six pretty large fish in one go. And from my understanding, the spring chinook (which should be running about now) are the best eating in the river.

The natives also appear to have a fondness for tiny dogs. Every group of fishermen has one. This little guy followed me around for a bit one day while I was working.

4 comments:

  1. What a cute little dog. Lyra has a new name tag that looks just like the one this dog is wearing. Is there a large native community where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a small reservation not too far away near where Celilo Falls used to be. I think that's where a lot of the fishermen come from. I haven't really seen then aside from fishing, though, so I don't think the community is too large in The Dalles area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet the puppy's indian name is fierce lion

    ReplyDelete