Friday, March 25, 2011

Voodoo Doughnuts


Voodoo Doughnuts is a place in Portland I knew I had to go even before I picked up my first guidebook. I had seen it on an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show, No Reservations. During his Portland episode, he went to Voodoo Doughnuts and purchased something magical and wonderful which I had never thought of before. But, once I had heard of it, I had to have it. The Bacon Maple Doughnut. A doughnut with an actual slice of bacon on top.

Becca and I drove past Voodoo Doughnuts on our first day in town. At the time, there was a line out the door and around the corner. I assumed that this was due to the fact that it was a Saturday morning. I decided that I did not want to stand in the rain and wait for that long, and the line would probably be shorter if I came back the next day. I drove past Voodoo Doughnuts four or five more times during my stay in Portland, each time the line ran around the corner. On my last day in town I decided that I would suck it up and wait in that line (it helped that this was the only sunny afternoon that week).

The line took me close to an hour, but the doughnuts were fantastic. I bought three, which may be a bit gluttonous, but I thought that after waiting in line for an hour, I couldn't leave with just one. Here were my selections (descriptions taken from their website):

The Bacon Maple: Raised yeast doughnut with maple frosting and bacon on top!


The Voodoo Doll: Raised yeast doughnut filled with raspberry jelly topped with chocolate frosting and a pretzel stake!


And finally, the Old Dirty Bastard: Raised yeast doughnut with chocolate frosting, Oreo’s and peanut butter!


And here's a picture of them all on a plate (this scene existed for about one second before I ate the bacon maple bar):


I did not realize until after I had purchased them that these were the exact same three doughnuts featured on No Reservations: Check it out

4 comments:

  1. The maple bacon bar was probably my favorite, with the old dirty bastard as a close second. The voodoo doll was less unique, but still a very good doughnut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://thisiswhyyourefat.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. breakin out some serious food photography skills. where were those during the forgeffries cookoffs?

    ReplyDelete