Saturday, March 19, 2011

Driving in the snow

In leaving Virginia, I also left springtime. Before I left we were already having sunny, 75 degree days. It only took one day of driving to find myself back in snow. There was snow at our first stop in Ohio. The roads in the morning were icy, but the highways, at least, were nice and clear.


Not the case in Nebraska, where it snowed on us the entire drive. Thankfully it was a light snow, mostly blown off the road by the strong wind, because the few plows I did see were completely ineffectual.


Colorado was clear, but Wyoming also had quite a bit of snow. The interesting bit about Wyoming is that in first portion of the trip there was snow on the roads, but it wasn't actually snowing (that didn't pick up until we were in the Tetons). The snow was just being blown onto the roads by the incredibly strong winds in the area. The reverse, I suppose, of our luck in Nebraska. (the blurriness in the photo below is from snow being blown across the highway)

The Tetons, of course, also had snow. This was the snowiest portion of the trip, but was well worth it. The roads were well maintained once we got close to Yellowstone and Jackson, and the views were stunning.


Being from Southeastern Virginia, I was pretty intimidated by the prospect of driving through all this snow, but it turned out fine. I probably learned a thing or two about snow driving, and now I'm in the northwest, where it seems all we get is endless rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment